Tuesday, March 30, 2010

An investigation

Recently, I was lamenting that Hyatt's development had fallen to the wayside.  Part of the problem was the question of the data format; no matter how many times I reinvented the wheel, it seemed to end up unacceptably square.  In the end, I decided to see what specific standards and formats had come before.  So I googled "tabular data format".  Imagine my surprise when I found that the top result* was a recently-expired patent.  As someone who's recently realized just how bullshit patents have gotten (Hi, Apple!) (note to self: record the patent song), I figured it would be nice to test to what extent the patent in question is valid.  There can be no question as to the utility or novelty of tabular computing, but I'm curious about how the PHOSITA test works out.  (With the caveat that I am both a novice, and working with much nicer languages than were around two decades ago.  So, you know, it's a bit all over the map.  However, I want Hyatt, so at least I probably shouldn't be intentionally sabotaging myself.)

*Due to Google's all-seeing eye** personalizing the search results, this was actually my second result, but viewing the results with no personalization had it as the top result.

**I mean no disrespect, o great and terrible overlord!

No comments:

Post a Comment